At least 8,938 people died on migration routes worldwide in 2024


(AFP): Last year was the deadliest year for migrants, with nearly 9,000 people dying worldwide, the United Nations said on Friday, calling the “tragedy… unacceptable and preventable”.
“At least 8,938 people died on migration routes worldwide in 2024,” the fifth year that numbers have reached record highs, the UN’s migration agency said.
“The tragedy of the growing number of migrant deaths worldwide is both unacceptable and preventable,” said Ugochi Daniels, the deputy director of the International Organization for Migration (IOM).
“Behind every number is a human being, someone for whom the loss is devastating,” Daniels said.
“The actual number of migrant deaths and disappearances is likely much higher, as many have gone undocumented because of the dearth of official sources,” the IOM said. It added that the identities and other details of the majority of victims were unknown.
Asia, Africa and Europe had record numbers of people dying in 2024 with 2,778, 2,242 and 233 respectively.
A total of 2,452 people were recorded as dying in the Mediterranean Sea, the main gateway for those trying to reach Europe, it said.
Final data were not available yet for the Americas but figures so far show at least 1,233 people died.
These included “an unprecedented 341 lives lost in the Caribbean in 2024 and a record 174 deaths of migrants crossing the Darien” jungle between Colombia and Panama.
The Darien jungle was at one point the main migratory corridor for people trying to reach the United States.

Pakistan will soon march alongside China on the path of regional development,says PM Shehbaz
- 13 hours ago

The worst kind of cancer suddenly isn’t so scary anymore
- 2 days ago

Field Marshal Asim Munir meets Iranian President, parliament speaker to discuss Iran-U.S. talks
- 2 days ago

Democrats don’t need an autopsy to know what they did wrong
- 2 days ago

PM Shehbaz meets Zhejiang leadership, Punjab-Zhejiang sister province MoU signed
- a day ago

Field Marshal Asim Munir’s Iran visit highly productive, encouraging progress Achieved: ISPR
- a day ago

16 militants including two key commanders killed in successful security operation in Bannu
- 13 hours ago

Deadly blast near Chaman railway crossing in Quetta kills 14, Including FC personnel
- 13 hours ago

Field Marshal Asim Munir meets Iranian Abbas Araghchi to discuss Iran-U.S. talks
- 2 days ago

PM Shehbaz leaves for China on four-day official visit
- 2 days ago

Security forces killed 11 indian backed militants during IBO in North Waziristan
- 9 hours ago

Pakistan hopes to host next round of Iran-US Talks soon, says PM Shehbaz
- 13 hours ago






